Wednesday, January 07, 2015

greedy for life

"In my experience when people once begin to read they go on.  They begin because they think they ought to and they go on because they must.  Yes.  They find it widens life.  We're all greedy for life, you know, and our short span of existence can't five us all that we hunger for, the time is too short and our capacity not large enough.  But in book we experience all life vicariously." 
 --Grandfather from A City of Bells by Elizabeth Goudge

So, I finally found an Elizabeth Goudge book to read.  (Thank you, Brenda for the long ago suggestion.)  It's a sweet little thing and I am enjoying it immensely. 
I just typed this out here because I liked Grandfather's thoughts so much.  What a delightful character.  I've got to sign off now,  as it is Quiet Reading Time and I want to get back to my pages for these few minutes of blissful silence that remain.  Then it's back to school to finish morning work and art class.  We all like art class time, too.
What are YOU reading?

1 comment:

DJ said...

I am reading a health related book at the moment, but have had a yearning for fiction. I visited Earnest Hemingway's Florida home recently and I'm thinking of re-reading some of his work. Not my usual cup of tea, but after that visit, it seems fitting.
Good to see you posting and getting life back to your normal.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin